Monday, December 28, 2020

Zax - Moab, UT

 

Ramon - Zax homemade tomato sauce, pepperoni, sausage, green pepper, onion, mozzarella cheese.


1. Crust: 10/10 - The description of Zax crust caught my eye before I placed my order. Their menu says, "Our unique honey crust pizza dough goes back about 25 years". They make their crust every morning by hand and it shows. I'm going to capitalize "Crust" from here on out as a sign of respect. The Crust was puffy, and stretchy but still had the right amount of crunch on the edges. There is a hint of sweetness from the honey which gives this Crust a richness in flavor and texture. Some of the honey seems to have caramelized on the bottom of the Crust. I do believe this is the best pizza Crust I've ever had.

2. Sauce: 8/10 - Possibly this pizza could use a little more red sauce. Especially, since the sauce is home made, I would have liked it to sit a little closer to the head of the table. However, I'm still scoring this high because I truly didn't suffer any lack of enjoyment from the sauce.  Unlike some sauces do, this sauce didn't make the pizza about itself. It didn't stand out, but this pizza wan't dry or lacking in the flavor that sauce provides. Though understated, the sauce complimented the other elements of this pizza in positive ways. 

3. Cheese: 10/10 - I loved the cheese, almost as much as the Crust. It was abundant and lavish with flavor. Some pizza's leave you wanting more cheese while others are clearly trying too hard. This pizza had plenty of cheese without fronting like it had something to prove. Every bite backed up its claim to cheesy goodness. When I realized that the cheese actually had flavor beyond what I was accustomed to in pizza, my mind searched for a memory of such cheese. Was it on my trip through Wisconsin that I had cheese this good? Or was it during my visit to Tillamook? No matter, this cheese was delicious and I had to keep my mind sharp and focused on the task at hand: eating more of this pizza. 

4. Toppings: 9/10 - High quality and delicious! The toppings were glued together with the cheese, as they should be. 

5. Atmosphere:  7/10 - I actually ordered this pizza take-out, after a long day of exploring the parks around Moab (and because of the corona virus) but, I would very much like to sit down in this restaurant someday. It appeared to have something of a wooden "saloon" meets family diner feel, with one of those large wood-fire pizza ovens which are so fun to watch as you salivate over your yet to be devoured pizza in that awful period of time between the ritual of ordering and the delivery of your chosen nutriment. (I'm not sure if the the pizza is actually wood-fire but it was that kind of oven and yes, I did get out my thesaurus). 

6. Novelties: 9/10 - Did I mention the honey-Crust? Nothing else noteworthy besides the fact that it is located so near the amazing sites of Arches National Park and in the quaint town of Moab. These things alone make it deserving of a high score in this area. If you're visiting this pizza place, then you are on an adventure and that is the best time to have pizza. The whole area is enjoyable to visit and ending your day with a delicious pizza is quite the treat for site-seeing travelers. 

7. How are the left overs? 9/10 - There was only one piece left over and it made for a terrific night-time snack. It warmed up perfectly as expected and had little loss in quality. 

Overall score: 62/70

No comments:

Post a Comment